[Solved] Excel Recommended Charts Tool

moklak

Hello,

My name is Mark A Oklak. I am an adjunct instructor at IVY Tech Community College - Indiana.
[email protected]

I am currently writing a course about Data Visualization for the college.

In the review of the course, one of the questions/concerns raised was with the Excel Recommended Charts tool. There was some concern that the recommended charts are not always the "best" charts for the datasets to be displayed. I was asked to address this, if possible.

I have done several online searches looking for articles I could link students to that discuss this issue. I have not found any. I was wondering if your site (or any other site/s you know of) has any articles, blog posts, etc., about when the Excel Chart Recommendation Tool may not provide the best recommendation/s.

Thank you for any help/guidance you can provide.

Mark

Hello,

My name is Mark A Oklak. I am an adjunct instructor at IVY Tech Community College - Indiana.
[email protected]

I am currently writing a course about Data Visualization for the college.

In the review of the course, one of the questions/concerns raised was with the Excel Recommended Charts tool. There was some concern that the recommended charts are not always the "best" charts for the datasets to be displayed. I was asked to address this, if possible.

I have done several online searches looking for articles I could link students to that discuss this issue. I have not found any. I was wondering if your site (or any other site/s you know of) has any articles, blog posts, etc., about when the Excel Chart Recommendation Tool may not provide the best recommendation/s.

Thank you for any help/guidance you can provide.

Mark
Hello Mark,

Thanks for posting your concern in this community.

Per the description shared, I understand your concern and I am sorry to convey that there is no related ExcelDemy blog explaining the backend mechanism on recommended charts in the Excel app. Although I would like to share an experience I had while working with this tool.

Specifically, I was working on time-based charts to display the capacity variation over time for certain disks, such as those used in Military systems. Excel suggested using a Category chart with days on the X-axis. However, since there were multiple samples per day, a more suitable chart would have been an X-Y scatter chart. This would have allowed for cleaner trend lines to be drawn.

I hope this information helps with your course. Please feel free to reach out if you have any additional questions.

Best Regards,
Yousuf Shovon

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lonkfps