[Solved] Finding SUM on a single single cell ignoring TEXT

Status
Not open for further replies.

dangerduck

Hi Exceldemy members,

I come with a silly question hoping theres a rather simple solution for this...

Is there a formula that SUMS UP the total of all the numbers in a single cell ignoring all the text as per the screenshot below

Much appreciated if it can be found if not obviously ill just have to get the calculator out lol

Attachments

• Exceldemy.PNG
    Exceldemy.PNG
    22.8 KB · Views: 15
Hello DangerDuck,

Thank you for reaching out to us at ExcelDemy with your question. You were looking for an idea to sum up, the total of all numbers in a single cell while ignoring any text. Using VBA, we develop a user-defined function named IgnoreTextSumUpNumber to solve the issues. To use the procedure, you must copy the code in the Module box and save it with the Macro-Enabled extension. Secondly, you must insert spaces at the beginning and end of a number while typing text string in a cell.
Here is the code:

Code:
Function IgnoreTextSumUpNumber(singleRange As Range, Optional separatorString As String = " ") As Double

Dim Numberlist As Variant, NumerItem As Long

For Each component In singleRange
        Numberlist = Split(component, separatorString)

For NumerItem = LBound(Numberlist) To UBound(Numberlist) Step 1
            IgnoreTextSumUpNumber = IgnoreTextSumUpNumber + Val(Numberlist(NumerItem))
        Next NumerItem
    Next component

End Function

If you need further assistance or have other questions, please don't hesitate to contact us. Our team is always here to support you and help you improve your Excel skills.

Best regards,
Lutfor Rahman Shimanto (ExcelDemy Team)

Attachments

• Forum1.png
    Forum1.png
    16.2 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Hi
Hello DangerDuck,

Thank you for reaching out to us at ExcelDemy with your question. You were looking for an idea to sum up, the total of all numbers in a single cell while ignoring any text. Using VBA, we develop a user-defined function named IgnoreTextSumUpNumber to solve the issues. To use the procedure, you must copy the code in the Module box and save it with the Macro-Enabled extension. Secondly, you must insert spaces at the beginning and end of a number while typing text string in a cell.
Here is the code:

Function IgnoreTextSumUpNumber(singleRange As Range, Optional separatorString As String = " ") As Double
Dim Numberlist As Variant, NumerItem As Long
For Each component In singleRange
Numberlist = Split(component, separatorString)
For NumerItem = LBound(Numberlist) To UBound(Numberlist) Step 1
IgnoreTextSumUpNumber = IgnoreTextSumUpNumber + Val(Numberlist(NumerItem))
Next NumerItem
Next component
End Function

If you need further assistance or have other questions, please don't hesitate to contact us. Our team is always here to support you and help you improve your Excel skills.

Best regards,
Hi lutfor,

Much appreciated in sharing the VBA codes with me - It worked perfectly - This has made my life easier...Ill be sharing this with my collegues & friends thats in need of Excel help.

Thanks

Mathews

Attachments

• Exceldemy Perfect.PNG
    Exceldemy Perfect.PNG
    17.5 KB · Views: 1
Hi

Hi lutfor,

Much appreciated in sharing the VBA codes with me - It worked perfectly - This has made my life easier...Ill be sharing this with my collegues & friends thats in need of Excel help.

Thanks

Mathews
Hi Mathews,

You're welcome! I'm delighted to hear that the VBA code worked for you. We are always here to assist, and it makes us happy to know that we could make your life easier. If you have more questions or need more help, feel free to get in touch.

Regards,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member