[Solved] Help calculating median Age group for data set

Am new how can i get help in calculating the median age group for this group data
Hello Francilla

Thanks for reaching out and posting your query. You wanted to calculate the median age group for a grouped dataset. I am delighted to inform you that I have solved your mentioned problem. I will introduce you to a mini calculator regarding your issue with error handling.

When solving your issue, I went through an article and found it very helpful. I recommend you go through the Article by clicking the following link.

Steps:
1. Cumulative Frequency
=SUM($C$5:C5)
Calculate Cum Freq.png

2. Total Frequency
=SUM($C$5:$C$22)
Calculate Total Freq.png

3. Median Position
Calculate Median Position.png

4. Median Age Group
=INDEX($B$5:$B$22, MATCH(TRUE, $D$5:$D$22>=$F$5,0))
Calculate Median Age Group.png

5. Median Age
=LEFT($F$8,2)+($F$5-INDEX($D$5:$D$22, MATCH(VLOOKUP($F$8, $B$5:$D$22, 3, TRUE),$D$5:$D$22, 0) - 1))*(RIGHT($F$8,2)-LEFT($F$8,2))/$C$24
Calculate Median Age.png

You can use the following formula to handle Errors when calculating the Median Age.
=IFERROR(LEFT($F$8,2)+($F$5-INDEX($D$5:$D$22, MATCH(VLOOKUP($F$8, $B$5:$D$22, 3, TRUE), $D$5:$D$22, 0) - 1))*(RIGHT($F$8,2)-LEFT($F$8,2))/$C$24,LEFT($F$8,2)+($F$5-INDEX($D$5:$D$22, MATCH(VLOOKUP($F$8, $B$5:$D$22, 3, TRUE), $D$5:$D$22, 0) - 1))*4/$C$24)

I have attached the solution Workbook to help you understand better. Don't hesitate to contact us again if you have any more questions.

Regards
Lutfor Rahman Shimanto

Attachments

• Francilla (SOLVED).xlsx
    12.2 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Hello Francilla

Thanks for reaching out and posting your query. You wanted to calculate the median age group for a grouped dataset. I am delighted to inform you that I have solved your mentioned problem. I will introduce you to a mini calculator regarding your issue with error handling.

When solving your issue, I went through an article and found it very helpful. I recommend you go through the Article by clicking the following link.

Steps:
1. Cumulative Frequency

2. Total Frequency

3. Median Position

4. Median Age Group

5. Median Age

You can use the following formula to handle Errors when calculating the Median Age.

I have attached the solution Workbook to help you understand better. Don't hesitate to contact us again if you have any more questions.

Regards
Lutfor Rahman Shimanto
Grateful for your assistance

Good day i would like some help in solving these calculations i am not getting the final part of the formula correct
Dear Francilla

Sorry for the late reply. Currently, I am going through the issue you have mentioned. I will share the solution in this thread as soon as I solve the problem. Good luck!

Regards
Lutfor Rahman Shimanto

Grateful for your assistance am having difficulties reaching the final stage of the calculations
Dear Francilla

Thanks again for staying with us. I have investigated the workbook you provided. In sheet1, I have calculated the median for 2018, 2019 and 2020. Through the following sheets, I highlighted with green color where you were doing correct or wrong calculations.

I have implemented the following statistical formula in Excel.

Median Formula (For grouped data):
Median = l + (n / 2 - c) / f × h

• l = Lower limit of the median class
  • n = Total number of frequency
  • c = Cumulative frequency of the preceding class
  • f = Frequency of median class
  • h = Class interval (Upper-class limit - Lower-class limit)

Excel Formula:
=LEFT($C$28,2)+($D$24-INDEX($E$5:$E$21, MATCH(VLOOKUP($C$28, $C$5:$E$21, 3, TRUE), $E$5:$E$21, 0) - 1))*(RIGHT($C$28,2)-LEFT($C$28,2))/$D$22

Solutions:
Francilla (OUTPUT).png

If you want to learn how the mentioned Excel Formula works, let me know. I am attaching the solution workbook to help you understand better.

Regards
Lutfor Rahman Shimanto

Attachments

17.8 KB · Views: 3
I am so thankful for your help, yes i would like to learn the process
Dear Francilla

I am incredibly sorry that the formula I previously provided contains a mistake. I noticed that mistake when I started to break down the formula for you. I mistakenly used total frequency as f.

However, I am all aware now. I have developed an Excel Formula derived from the statistical median formula. As promised, I will explain the formula breakdown to you.

Corrected Formula:
=LEFT($G$8,2)+($G$5-INDEX($D$5:$D$22, MATCH(VLOOKUP($G$8, $B$5:$D$22, 3, TRUE), $D$5:$D$22, 0) - 1))*(RIGHT($G$8,2)-LEFT($G$8,2))/VLOOKUP(G8,B5:D21,2,FALSE)

OUTPUT:
Francilla (Corrected Formula).png

Explanation:
Francilla (Explanation).png

I have attached the solution workbook, and thank you again.

Regards
Lutfor Rahman Shimanto

Attachments

13.9 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads