[Solved] Assign numerical values to different words in the same cell and have them add up to each other for a hamburguer restaurant

joaquinfreije

Hi there! I'm Joaquín from Argentina. I own a hamburger restaurant, and we use google sheets to send information in real time from the order taker to the kitchen. As you will see below, there are different boxes where we put essential data. To cut to the chase, there are two boxes that are important for the problem at hand. The box where we put the ordered burgers in code form (for example "baconx1, clasica, lifex3") and the "quantity of beef patties" box. I have been looking for days how to do the following, but I have not found a solution: I need the "quantity of meat medallions" box to automatically detect the codes of the hamburgers and transform them into numbers and add them together. The problem is that I don't know what formula to use, it's the only information I need. At first I thought I could use the if function but it cannot detect and sum different values within the same cell.
In case it was not clear, I would need to assign a number to each hamburger code so that in the mentioned cell it automatically shows the necessary patties we need to cook for the block.
I leave at the end an editable link of the sheets in case it is useful for you to see it.

Thank you very much for your help, any advice or comment would be very useful. Cheers!

Hamburguer sheets

Planilla.png
Hamburger codes to which I want to assign a numerical value

Hi there! I'm Joaquín from Argentina. I own a hamburger restaurant, and we use google sheets to send information in real time from the order taker to the kitchen. As you will see below, there are different boxes where we put essential data. To cut to the chase, there are two boxes that are important for the problem at hand. The box where we put the ordered burgers in code form (for example "baconx1, clasica, lifex3") and the "quantity of beef patties" box. I have been looking for days how to do the following, but I have not found a solution: I need the "quantity of meat medallions" box to automatically detect the codes of the hamburgers and transform them into numbers and add them together. The problem is that I don't know what formula to use, it's the only information I need. At first I thought I could use the if function but it cannot detect and sum different values within the same cell.
In case it was not clear, I would need to assign a number to each hamburger code so that in the mentioned cell it automatically shows the necessary patties we need to cook for the block.
I leave at the end an editable link of the sheets in case it is useful for you to see it.

Thank you very much for your help, any advice or comment would be very useful. Cheers!

Hamburguer sheets

View attachment 41
View attachment 42
Hi Joaquin,
Thank you for reaching out to us. We understand that you need a way to automatically detect and add up the number of beef patties required based on the codes of the hamburgers ordered. One way to achieve this is to combine the SPLIT, VLOOKUP, and SUM functions in Google Sheets.
Formula: =SUM(ArrayFormula(VLOOKUP(SPLIT(F5, ", "), CodeTable!$B$3:$C$23, 2, FALSE)))
To resolve the issue, we have created an assistive sheet called Table that contains the hamburger codes and their corresponding quantity of beef patties in your shared google spreadsheet.
Things to keep in mind:
  • Use a comma and a space between burger names while taking orders. For example: "baconx1, chx2, clasicax2, lifex2".
  • The inserted burger code must belong to the BURGER Code column in the CodeTable sheet.
We hope this solution helps you achieve the automation you need for your hamburger restaurant. If you have any further questions or concerns, don't hesitate to contact us.
Regards
Lutfor Rahman Shimanto (ExcelDemy Team)

Hi Luftor! I can't tell you how grateful I am for your help! It is exactly what I needed. Now we can have a much better workflow and communication between the kitchen and the order taker, without having to count the patties one by one.
If you ever pass by Bahía Blanca, Argentina, write me and I'll give you all the burgers you can eat (@reina.burguesa on instagram).

Again thank you very much for your help and I hope you are well, best regards!

Joaquin Freije

Hi Luftor! I can't tell you how grateful I am for your help! It is exactly what I needed. Now we can have a much better workflow and communication between the kitchen and the order taker, without having to count the patties one by one.
If you ever pass by Bahía Blanca, Argentina, write me and I'll give you all the burgers you can eat (@reina.burguesa on instagram).

Again thank you very much for your help and I hope you are well, best regards!

Joaquin Freije
Dear Joaquin Freije,

It brings me joy to hear that my help was what you needed and has improved your workflow and communication with the kitchen. Knowing that we have positively impacted your business is incredibly satisfying for us.

I am humbled by your kind offer of free burgers at Reina Burguesa, and I am very excited about the prospect of trying your delicious burgers! If I am ever fortunate enough to find myself in Bahia Blanca, Argentina.

Thank you for taking the time to write to me and express your gratitude. It is always heartwarming to receive such positive feedback, and it motivates us to continue doing what we love – helping others.

Warmest Regards,
Lutfor Rahman Shimanto

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JasonRip