compare text between 2 cells

bigme

hello,
i wonder, is there any way to compare text between 2 cells by ignoring upper/lower case, punctuation, not in the same order, min. 2 words same is okay.

regards,
bigMe

sample.JPG

is there any way to compare text between 2 cells by ignoring upper/lower case, punctuation, not in the same order, min. 2 words same is okay.
Hello BigMe,

Glad to hear from you again. Thank you for the thorough explanation of the issue.

To answer your question, the below VBA function will compare texts between 2 cells ignoring such cases. Here is the VBA code:
Code:
Function FindMatch(cell1 As Range, cell2 As Range) As String

Dim text1 As String
    Dim text2 As String

text1 = Replace(LCase(cell1.Value), ",", "")
    text2 = Replace(LCase(cell2.Value), ",", "")

Dim words1() As String
    Dim words2() As String
    words1 = Split(text1, " ")
    words2 = Split(text2, " ")

Dim matchCount As Integer
    matchCount = 0

For Each word1 In words1

For Each word2 In words2

If word1 = word2 Then
                matchCount = matchCount + 1
                Exit For
            End If
        Next word2
    Next word1

' Check if at least two words matched and return the result
    If matchCount >= 2 Then
        FindMatch = "Match"
    Else
        FindMatch = "Not Match"
    End If
End Function
  • Copy the code to a module and enter the below function in C2:
=FindMatch(A2,B2)

As a result, we obtain the match or not match outcomes.

BIGME-1.png

I am attaching the desired workbook. Please, follow accordingly and let us know your feedback.

See the below article to compare between sheets:

Regards,
Yousuf Shovon

Attachments

• BIGME(Solved).xlsm
    16.9 KB · Views: 0
Good Morning,
thank you dear Yousuf for your help, but i forgot to inform that i want to copy this function in a file and use it to process data in other file? how to call the function? and please inform me if i try to put data in cell1 and cell2 in column A and column F, not side by side like the sample i gave column A & B, thank you.

regards,
bigMe

how to call the function? and please inform me if i try to put data in cell1 and cell2 in column A and column F, not side by side like the sample i gave column A & B
Hello BigMe,

Glad to hear from you again. I understand you want to call the previous VBA function from another file. Also, you want to process data of columns A & F.

Fortunately, the range of the VBA function we have created is dynamic which means you can input any range manually and get the match or not match output accordingly.

Based on your requirements, I have created 2 workbooks. The Bigme1(Source) file has the source data and BIGME2(Solved) has the formula output with the VBA code. Here, we will use the function from the second file to process data from the first file. Follow the steps carefully:

• Open the file with the source data.

BigMe-1.png
  • Now, copy the VBA code and save it in the BIGME2(Solved) workbook's module.​

BigMe-2.png
  • Now, in the same workbook, enter the below VBA function in B2 >> switch to source file >> select the range you want to check with a comma between them.​
=FindMatch(

BigMe-3.png
  • As a result, you get the match or not match output. Remember to do the same for each row. You can not use the AutoFill handler for this VBA function.​

BigMe-4.png

I am attaching the mentioned workbooks here. Let us know if you have further queries.

Regards,
Yousuf Shovon

Attachments

• Bigme1(Source).xlsm
    9.3 KB · Views: 1
  • BIGME2(Solved).xlsm
    17.9 KB · Views: 1
Dear Yousuf,
big thank you for your attention, after i try to understand the method, i want to make sure that the function and the result must be in one workbook, am i correct? is there any option so that the function saved in BIGME2 but the data source and result in Bigme1? so i run the function from BIGME2 to process data in Bigme1 and the result also in Bigme1 in column J, I'm sorry if I ask too many questions and it's troublesome, thank you.

regards,
bigMe

i want to make sure that the function and the result must be in one workbook, am i correct? is there any option so that the function saved in BIGME2 but the data source and result in Bigme1?
Hello BigMe,

Certainly! You can find the Match or Not Match and get output in Source sheet of Bigme1(Source) workbook and show output using a VBA code from BIGME2(Code) workbook.

In BIGME2(Code) workbook, save the below VBA code and run it.

Code:
Sub FindAndDisplayMatches()
    Dim SourceWorkbook As Workbook
    Dim SourceWorksheet As Worksheet
    Dim LastRow As Long
    Dim i As Long

Set SourceWorkbook = Workbooks.Open("C:\Users\YOUSUF\Desktop\Forum\BigME\Bigme1(Source).xlsm")

Set SourceWorksheet = SourceWorkbook.Sheets("Source")

LastRow = SourceWorksheet.Cells(SourceWorksheet.Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Row

For i = 1 To LastRow
        Dim text1 As String
        Dim text2 As String

text1 = Replace(LCase(SourceWorksheet.Cells(i, 1).Value), ",", "")
        text2 = Replace(LCase(SourceWorksheet.Cells(i, 6).Value), ",", "")

If Not IsEmpty(SourceWorksheet.Cells(i, 1).Value) And Not IsEmpty(SourceWorksheet.Cells(i, 6).Value) Then
            Dim words1() As String
            Dim words2() As String
            words1 = Split(text1, " ")
            words2 = Split(text2, " ")

Dim matchCount As Integer
            matchCount = 0

Dim word1 As Variant
            Dim word2 As Variant

For Each word1 In words1
                For Each word2 In words2
                    If word1 = word2 Then
                        matchCount = matchCount + 1
                        Exit For
                    End If
                Next word2
            Next word1

SourceWorksheet.Cells(i, 10).Value = IIf(matchCount >= 2, "Match", "Not Match")
        End If
    Next i

SourceWorkbook.Close SaveChanges:=True
End Sub
As a result, we process the data of Columns A and F of Bigme1(Source) and show output in column J.

BIGME-11.png

Note: Remember to change the name of the workbook path and worksheet name in the following code line:

Code:
Set SourceWorkbook = Workbooks.Open("C:\Users\YOUSUF\Desktop\Forum\BigME\Bigme1(Source).xlsm")

Set SourceWorksheet = SourceWorkbook.Sheets("Source")

I have attached the workbooks here. I hope this works for you. Feel free to ask any questions regarding this. Not troublesome at all!

Regards,
Yousuf Shovon

Attachments

• Bigme1(Source).xlsm
    9.4 KB · Views: 1
  • BIGME2(Code).xlsm
    18.5 KB · Views: 1

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics