[Solved] Extract data to build a report... Golf-Skins Report; Multiple Winners Per Hole

Golf Automation

Help! I have golf data (scores hole-by-hole); but I need to use it. I seek to create a skins report by selecting data based on criteria hole-by-hole. The skins report would consider:
1 par per hole, if there are no lower scores on that hole. Or...
Up to 2 birdies per hole; if there are no lower scores; or...
Up to 2 eagles per hole; if there are no lower scores; or...
Up to 2 albatross
The report would extract/auto fill a table/report with the name(s) of the golfers.

Who knows this is a piece of cake, simple, no major issue.... I am awaiting your help to resolve this item.

Attachments

• export (3).xlsx
    14.3 KB · Views: 3
  • Skins Report Table.xlsx
    11.7 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Help! I have golf data (scores hole-by-hole); but I need to use it. I seek to create a skins report by selecting data based on criteria hole-by-hole. The skins report would consider:
Up to 2 albatross
The report would extract/auto fill a table/report with the name(s) of the golfers.

Who knows this is a piece of cake, simple, no major issue.... I am awaiting your help to resolve this item.
Dear Golf Automation,

Welcome to ExcelDemy forum! I understand you wish to extract data to build a Golf-Skins Report; Multiple Winners Per Hole. Fortunately, you can do this using the lookup & Transpose functions.

The skins round generally works by the lowest score on a hole, if scored by only one player, earns the skin. If more than one player has the lowest score on the hole then the skin prize carries to the next hole. There is no reference to Par - so the rules in your opening request don't appear to apply. BTW - there do not appear to be PAR values stored in the Hole information to refer to anyway.
So, the algorithm should be like this:

For the round/date /course and hole:
Start by determining the lowest score for a hole, commencing at hole 1. and ignore null or 0.
For that score, count how many golfers had that score.
If score count = 1 then Skins winner
For this row, get name, hole no and score, write to results. (Awarded)
else no winner this hole
on results sheet golfer name = "No one", hole no, score = nothing
end if
next hole

I have implemented this in the attached Excel workbook. Check this out and let me know if it works.

Best Regards,
Yousuf Shovon

Attachments

• Golf_Automation.xlsx
    19.9 KB · Views: 2
Yousuf, this is progress. The traditional "skin" in golf is not what I am seeking. Programs already exist for that. The tools that you provided are eye opening areas for me. But, I have the need to automate results for the following.

The report/results would consider:
"TWO LOW SCORES...less than par pre hole"
Up to 2 albatross
The report would extract/auto fill a table/report with the name(s) of the golfers, hole number, and hole score. There is more, but those are the basics.

There are a few more wrinkles. Once this equation has been solved. I could build upon it to have this to cover 3, 4, 5, and all lower scores per hole. I hope that clarified the problem I am trying to solve. Thanking you in advance.

data files and report example attached...

Attachments

• export (3).xlsx
    14.3 KB · Views: 2
Yousuf, this is progress. The traditional "skin" in golf is not what I am seeking. Programs already exist for that. The tools that you provided are eye opening areas for me. But, I have the need to automate results for the following.

The report/results would consider:
"TWO LOW SCORES...less than par pre hole"
Up to 2 albatross
The report would extract/auto fill a table/report with the name(s) of the golfers, hole number, and hole score. There is more, but those are the basics.

There are a few more wrinkles. Once this equation has been solved. I could build upon it to have this to cover 3, 4, 5, and all lower scores per hole. I hope that clarified the problem I am trying to solve. Thanking you in advance.

data files and report example attached...
Hello,

The spreadsheet supplied does NOT have a column for what PAR is for any hole (unless it is hidden somewhere). Without a value for PAR for each hole it is impossible to do the required calculations.

Not sure about the details of your rules even when par scores are available: I think basically -
  • Determine lowest score for a hole.
  • Determine how many golfers achieved that score.
  • Determine Par - the lowest score (This is where the PAR score for each hole is needed).
  • If less than par and no of golfers = 2 or less then skin is awarded to each of these players (ie birdies, eagles, albatross, or anything less!)
  • (if there are 3 players or more with a low score then no skin is awarded)
  • If score = par and only one golfer with that score then award skin.
  • If the lowest score is greater than par - no skin is awarded.
Are the above the rules? Steps 3456 are an extension of what was provided. Do you want to try it? Let me know.

Best Regards.

Last edited:
Yousuf, yes you have it exactly. And yes, I would like for you to create it. I will send the data file that will include the par score per hole in the next 15 minutes.

Yousuf, here is the data file that now incorporated course par per hole row 1. And to have it to automatically generate a report displaying the winners without null lines. The report table should include; the golfers name, hole number won, won with score...

Attachments

• export (3).xlsx
    15.8 KB · Views: 1
Yousuf, here is the data file that now incorporated course par per hole row 1. And to have it to automatically generate a report displaying the winners without null lines. The report table should include; the golfers name, hole number won, won with score...
Hello @Golf Automation,

Please, see the attached Excel file. I have included the parameters as requested. The report is on the second sheet.

Hope this works for you.

Attachments

• Golf_Automation_2.xlsx
    26 KB · Views: 1
Yousuf, great work so far. I changed the number 1 hole scores to display two par 4's. No score was lower. The report/the data pointed to 2 skins on the hole that made with a score par 4.

That change should have reported 0; no award on this hole. Under that situation.

Remember; when there are no scores less than par. Only a single/sole winner is selected... meaning if par is the lowest score on that hole. I have attached the modified t-sheet. Take a look at it.

Attachments

• Golf_Automation_2.xlsx
    25.2 KB · Views: 1
Yousuf, great work so far. I changed the number 1 hole scores to display two par 4's. No score was lower. The report/the data pointed to 2 skins on the hole that made with a score par 4.

That change should have reported 0; no award on this hole. Under that situation.

Remember; when there are no scores less than par. Only a single/sole winner is selected... meaning if par is the lowest score on that hole. I have attached the modified t-sheet. Take a look at it.
Hello @Golf Automation,
I think I have understood your concern now and fixed it accordingly. Check it out and let me know if you have further concerns.

Best Regards.

Attachments

• Golf_Automation_3.zip
    24.2 KB · Views: 4

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member